The right product can make a huge difference to skin. Being able to identify different skin types and skin conditions will help you choose the right products matching to your individual needs.
Your skin type is determined by genetics. The condition of your skin will vary greatly depending on internal and external factors such as weather, pollution, diet, medication, and how you treat your skin. It's important to use products to match skin type and address skin condition.
There are four main skin types
Normal skin is well-balanced skin that is not too dry or too oily.
Features of normal skin:
- Velvet texture
- Healthy glow
- Bright and Vibrant
Dry skin does not produce enough natural oils to keep it moist and hydrated.
Features of dry skin:
- Feels tight after cleansing
- May appear to be flaky, rough and blotchy
- First signs of ageing start to appear
Oily skin produces too much natural oils under the skin.
Features of oily skin:
- Shiny or greasy
- Enlarged pores, blackheads, spots
- If you blot the face with tissue, the tissue will be oily and moist
Combination skin is a very common skin type. It is skin that contains a mix of skin types. The natural oils under the skin are indecisive.
Features of combination skin
- T-Zone appears oily
- Sensitive/dry cheeks and eye area
- Pores appear different sizes over the face
Identifying skin condition
- Environmental factors such as pollution, weather, air conditioning, central heating
- Incorrect use of products
Acne happens when pores get contaminated by a mixture of dead skin cells and too much oil.
Signs of acne:
- Different types of breakouts – blackheads, pimples, and whiteheads
- Redness around the breakouts
- Oily skin around the T-Zone and may have bumpy skin