They are the backbone of your beauty kit and these days there is a brush for everything. With increased hygiene, the absolute buzz words at the moment - Nows the time to give your brushes a clean-up.
Cleaning your make-up brushes - equals clean skin.
Your brushes are in frequent contact with your face meaning a weekly clean.
Eye-liner and shadow brushes, only need every couple of weeks.
The benefits are more than just hygiene, by cleaning away the product buildup, you are giving better application, reducing the risks of clogged pores and spots, while increasing the life of the bristles.
Cleaning your make-up brushes in five simple steps
- Soak the brushes in lukewarm water and add a few drops of gentle shampoo or soap.
- Gently swirl the brushes into the soap and lightly massage the bristles to remove the dirt.
- Rinse the brushes under lukewarm water and repeat the process until all makeup and soap come out.
- When brushes get clear, carefully squeeze the water out.
- Reshape the bristles with fingers and lay them flat until dry.
Do not lay your brushes flat on a towel the bristles can turn mildewy.
Lay them hanging over a surface, in a room with plenty of air and leave overnight.
Cleaning Make-up sponges
- Fill a bowl with warm soapy water.
- Gently massage the sponge until the make-up washes out.
- Give it a rinse and blot dry with a paper towel.
Regular cleaning can prolong a brushes life, they don't last forever. You will notice the tell-tale signs of bristles falling out, and the brush starting to smell. So we would say every three to four months you should be looking to replace them.